Translate

Wednesday 2 December 2009

It's beginning to feel a lot like...

Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it is December already.  We always (or at least always try to) get our tree up on December 1st each year.  We always had a real tree when we were kids but these days I prefer to leave the trees in the forrest where they can offset some of my carbon footprint.  So we have a... what's the sofisticated way of saying it... Simulated Natural Tree.  Ok it's fake; completely and utterly but it looks nice when it is fully dressed up and still looks green on Christmas morning (which I couldn't guarantee of a real tree with the hot summer weather we have in Perth and my black thumb).  Anyway here are a few progress shots of the tree 'dressing' coming together.  We are at the lights, Advent stockings and Temari ball stage.  I couldn't get the whole tree in a picture because it is so tall and wide (we need to bend the top over so we can get the star on top) but you get the idea



I don't really know the protocol for dressing a tree is it lights first or lights last? I'm sure we debate the point every year in our family but this year I was sneaky because we are decorating the tree on Thursday (instead of our usual 1st December due to scheduling issues) so to appease my son we decided to put the tree up and string the lights on it as a compromise then finish the rest with the extended family. 

This year I made mini stockings for my son's advent calendar.  Forever we have used a long divided box with little covers that spell out 'Merry Christmas to you' after each day has been opened (and treat inside has been eaten).  I made it when he was only 1 yo so it has been retired in favour of the new system,  which he loves cause these hold bigger treats. 


The little stockings are made with felt and ribbon and I think they are so cute.  I stamped the numbers on little cards in gold or silver and attached them with fancy paper clips.  I like them so much that I made a few extras and filled them with sweets to take for the kids at my DH's work Christmas party.  I am sure that they will be popular with the kids... maybe not so much with their parents. ....insert manical laugh here ; )

Til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment